Friday 23 September 2011

Waiting....

Is something I'm not very good at.  Although we've had a pretty busy week, I am very aware that time is ticking on and I'm really ready to get started with this treatment.  I know it's potentially going to be a rough ride, but my family assures me they will be there to push me up the hill when needed - so to speak!  I will need them, and I am grateful they will be there for me every step of the way.

I don't know how many of you watched the Million Dollar Tumour doco on TV the other night - I found it half way through by fluke, but this was a pretty amazing story of a guy called Dave Bowman who was diagnosed with a brain tumour in the early 2000's.  His was a grade 4 and he battled the drug company Pharmac to get 'Temodol' (brain specific chemotherapy tablets that I will be taking) subsidised for NZ sufferers.  He won this battle eventually, however because he was already a sufferer of a tumour he did not qualify to receive the drug subsidy... pretty stink.  He did eventually lose his battle with his tumour - his was a grade 4 (again, I'm grateful mine is only grade 3) but his legacy lives on with the rest of us brain tumour lot who get to receive the drug because of him.  His website is  www.headstart.org.nz/  and is well worth a look - very very courageous battler, in many senses of the word.  When his time was precious, he spent it thinking about others.

We, however, are looking forward to only thinking about ourselves tonight, with a nice dinner date booked!  We have been under a wee bit of stress (can't think why!!) lately and it will be nice to enjoy each others' company somewhere out of the house and be grown ups for the evening... followed by the rugby somewhere afterwards I'm sure!!


Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment