Thursday 6 October 2011

7 down...

...and counting!

It's been a good week.  Bloods on Monday took the typical two attempts, but now I've got 'the' vein etched into my memory so the next and subsequent tests will be easy... lucky me for having deep veins!! Meeting with oncology was successful - blood results (although early days) were excellent and although I had some headaches on Sunday/Monday (which I now know was a viral infection that Tim got the day AFTER me, and was sick... I wasn't, but on anti-nausea so that could be why!) and was advised to stay on my steroid until next week, I have been headache free for the rest of the week and feel good about being able to stop those soon too.

This radiation stuff is unnerving... because it doesn't hurt initially, but the wait for the side effects is a little unnerving... every time I brush my fingers through my hair I'm checking for signs that it might be starting to fall out... waiting...

I am fully expecting to have a 'howlybag' when the day comes that it does start to fall out, but at the same time I want it to start because I know that's the next big step to tackle and I just want to get on with it and find the new 'look' that I will be blessed with...

On a very bright note, I have managed to wean myself off my anti-nausea tablets during the day with no issues at all. I'm still a good girl and have them before my chemo, but it's one less chemical that I'm putting into my body which makes me rest a little more easily!

What isn't resting easy is waking at 3:49am and not being able to get back to sleep!  I think I dozed, but will be ready for bed tonight for sure... possibly with a half a sleeping tablet to help a little.

We have had notice that our beautiful Cherie (my sister) is flying in on Sunday so I look forward to having her home and close to me.  I know our family operates better when we are all together, and I couldn't think of a better time for us to just 'be' and appreciate each other :0)

This weekend Toby and I will be camping out at Mum and Dad's place at the beach - YAY!  A beach weekend, I do hope the weather is good!  Tim is off to Queenstown for the weekend on a 'work' trip with some of the guys... adventure weekend I'm told although nobody really knows what sort of adventures there will be!  It will be good for him to have some time out and away from home - it's been a heck of a ride for me and I can only imagine what he's been going through - in his manly way he keeps it typically close to his chest... It will be a bit of a release for him, and a weekend to NOT have to worry about me or the things that need doing around the house - just to chill out with the crew and relax a bit.

As I turned my calendar over to October early this week, the wee inspirational quote for the month was

"Life is like a bicycle... you don't fall off unless you stop pedalling"

I thought it was quite poigniant in our house at the moment as we are 'pedalling' as efficiently as we can, and I know that many of you have come along to 'pedal' with us - windbreaks as such, and heaps of you have offered to 'pedal' for me which I truly appreciate.  The gratitude I have for all of those actively supporting and sharing this cycle ride with us is immense, and I can honestly say that this whole experience has re-affirmed my faith in the caring nature of people - friends, family - strangers like the health professionals and the hospital admin staff... all have been amazing and can NOT be faulted.

Let's pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment