Saturday 1 October 2011

So... trick for young players...

Or newbies to this cancer thing...  I WAS going to get my hair cut yesterday in preparation for the weekend - and in preparation for it to fall out so as not to frighten a small 6 year old in residence, however I have been advised this is NOT a good idea as it could alter the fit of my radiotherapy mask which could send the dose to the wrong part of my brain which clearly we DON'T want!

I totally never thought about it like that, but very much understand where they are coming from.  Never crossed my mind that it could be that precise - however I am thankful that it is!

So... plan is to wait 10-14 days for it to begin to fall out (hopefully it's a bit more stubborn than that... I know I am, so it should follow suit!)  then they may re-assess to see if I need another mask made, THEN I can schedule a haircut before new mask making.

It all makes sense now I know the ins and outs of it, but never thought that it would be an issue - really good to know, and probably would have been handy to know before treatment... maybe  something for the Midcentral Health feedback form?!

Had a wonderful day today with my colleagues and wonderful work team at our Regional Conference.  Was great to see everyone, and I think secretly they might have been pleased to see me too - just to confirm that I really am doing great and still in the land of the living in the most positive way possible!

Had a phone call from my amazingly beautiful sister this afternoon - she'll be home this week some time which is super exciting, and I can't wait to see her.  She has her boxing gloves on, ready to fight this thing with me - we Osman girls are forces to be reckoned with - this thing better run for cover... we're out to get it!

Have read another few chapters of Phil Kerslake's "Life, Happiness.... and Cancer" tonight.  The nice lady from the Cancer Society gave it to me and it is truly a bit of an inspirational read... well worth it for cancer fighters, their carers, families etc  - full of positive, pro active advice on surviving with action and attitude!  Phil, the author, is a 6 time cancer survivor and has proven research into mindset and positive attitudes being beneficial to anyone fighting the battle themselves... very VERY cool.  One of his suggestions, funnily enough is to write for release... kinda the reason I began this blog - but I think it's not just helping me... there are others out there who can feel like they are in the loop, and as some of my beautiful work ladies told me today (you know who you are xx) they feel like they are helping by being followers and supporters of my ramblings on here - thanks girlies, I can feel your support from here xxx

It must be bedtime now, big day tomorrow to Masterton for a picnic and a swim with all the boys and a wee sojourn to look at some puppies... a possible 'therapy' dog on it's way... possibly!  Been baking up a storm tonight and have all sorts of picnicy treats ready to rock and roll!

Night all xx

Leaving you with a lovely quote I heard today...food for thought


"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget the way you made them feel"

Maya Angelou.

1 comment: